PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2020, 07:20
king_fifi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
Just sharing my interview experience.
Whatever written from the beginning of this post till the latest, it was extremely helpful for my preparation fo rthe interview process.
So, please read it from first page till the very last.
Dominican, Fratemate and a few more noble chaps here had been providing great information for us all.
Really appreciate it alot.

Right, as for my interview, return air ticket to Tokyo was paid by the agent (Crew in my case) but hotel accomodation was self-paid.

You will go through a paper test consist of 20 questions mainly on ATPL subjects.
You will then proceed for the interview.

The whole interview process was pleasant, 3 Japanese senior Captains plus anohter Japanese lady from HR.
Standard interview questions with some techinical questions from each of the senior Captains.
As for those technical questions posed to me, I did managed to answer most of it but not all.
Those that I was not sure, I will just be frank to them and say "not sure" or " I don't know the answer" instead of bs my way through.

Right after the interview, and before the sim check, you will be given a "briefing" by one of the senior captain.
Basically he is just confirming that the sim profile that you have been given by the agent is up to date.
He will go through the entire profile with you.
During this stage, I was asked if I would prefer to have the "Speedtape" version of PFD or the older version of it, which I call it the "F/S tape" (as in fast/slow).
I did not know until this point that I have the luxury to choose my version of speedtape.
I chose the newer digital speedtape for my PFD (regretted it somehow, as I've been bunk flying using the F/S tape all these while)

Sim profile was exactly as per the package given by the agent.
Most difficult for me was the visual approach, followed by the S/E profile and easiest was the VOR profile.
Well, that is only for my case.

For the sim check, 1 captain will be sitting on the other seat to assist, another running the sim and the third one will watch you like a hawk from the middle.
They will watch and take notes on every little thing you do/missed.
They even noticed that I was not looking at my speedtape just prior to rotation.

Some tips general tips for the sim check:
You're suppose to glance the speedtape when the PM says "V-R" before you actually move the control column.
Your thumb should be away from the trim switch if you're not trimming.
You can fly with both hands as long as the A/T is ON and working. That's told to me by one of the checker when I was placing one of my hand on the thrust lever "guarding it". Not required according to him.
Say "Left/Right clear" as applicable, everytime before initiating a turn.

Now, as for the Visual profile, yes, cadence mentioned by Fratemate works very well and gives you plenty of time to adjust your profile during base turn.
One thing i learnt during my visual approach. My speed was spot on when you look at the speedtape on PFD. However, my thrust correction to achive the speed was varying by +/- 5% or so (the thrust lever is a little sensitive as well for a first timer on a 767 sim).
According to the checker, I must stay within +/-2% only, so my 5% was way too much for them.
I had a positive landing, not hard at all but definitely not a greaser for sure. And the checker behind was saying "VIP onboard!"
Not sure if they're just trying ease the tense in the sim or they really don't like my landing.

I had my interview and sim check during the day and the result came in the same evening.
Unfortunately I did not make it. No reasons given. Strongly believe I flunked the sim session.
According to my agent, the only thing that counts is the sim check, the interview/paper exam was irrelevant.
Not sure to what extend though as even the agent does not know the reason for my failure.

By the way, all these happened more than a year ago but I guess nothing much has changed.

I had recently resubmit my application again to my agent.

Shocking to know AJX does not accept second try for DEC applicants (this was not told to me last year by my agent).
This has been confirmed by my agent as they made a call to AJX (well that's what they told me).
That is their current "policy" now it seems. Not sure why.
Rather disappointed to know this actually.

I'm having high hope still. Will try again next year. Hopefully they will review their "policy".

To those who are applying, especially DEC, best of luck, and give it your best shot.

Gambatte Kudasai!

Fifi