PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 5th Jan 2020, 10:08
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by The name is Porter
... if there are any sort of industrial issues going on between pilot and company, I would be steering clear.

If it's expected that union membership is a cultural standard, join. If the union advises certain, legal industrial action, then you follow it.
The name,

That may very well be a prudent choice which the individual gets to make.

Union mandates fully apply to those belonging to the union rather than those on the street. I seriously doubt outfits like Atlas et al will be saved from themselves and their lousy management by a handful of Aussie E3s.

These things are symbiotic relationships where each side uses the other for some period. It's not personal, it's just business.

I mightily object to the inappropriate use of the term "scab" when talking about people taking these substandard positions. In the context of US airline labor, there are two ways a pilot can be a scab:

1) A pilot working for the airline elects to cross a picket line during a strike while his fellow pilots are withholding their services.

2) A pilot is hired from outside the airline to cross a picket line and fly during a strike when the pilots of that airline are withholding their services.

To brand people opting to endure a less-than-ideal circumstance in furtherance of their career is a wildly inappropriate use of the term. But it's been used that way before and will be again by those resorting to emotionalism.

The idealized notion that people should all just refuse to accept sub-legacy Ts & Cs regardless of the job in question is just that: Pie In The Sky. This entire website contains empirical evidence that this will not happen.

I hope this thread resumes normal speed.