PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirAsia Engine Failure Mess
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2020, 08:27
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wheels_down
ATSB says otherwise.
I don’t agree with many of the statements in the ATSB report. EDTO has lots of grey areas as the ICAO SARPS simply cannot be prescriptive for all situations. The report suggests the author only has a basic idea how ETDO rule times for an airframe are published/calculated, and then actually applied in practice if a failure occurs.

The rule distance for the first hour are different to the second hour etc. These are defined under the operators certificate and varies between airlines. Crews are under no obligation to reach a diversion airport within the maximum approved time.

My biggest criticism of the report is the apparent lack of understanding of the aircraft weight, fuel system (no fuel dump), and drift down profile of the A330. It will take around 90 minutes for a single engine drift down from FL380 at green dot. At the end of the drift down they would be TOD for MEL

An immediate diversion to ASP would result in an unplanned overweight landing onto a shorter runway at night at higher density altitude with reduced flap setting at an airport they never operate into.

Essentially they did everything wrong.
I don’t agree. I would be more critical if the crew rushed a diversion decision without considering all available information.

Total disregard for Amber LAND ASAP.
Amber LAND ASAP means CONSIDER landing at the nearest suitable, it does not mean land at the nearest. The report clearly indicates the crew did consider ASP, and the chose not to go there which is entirely their operational decision to make.

Originally Posted by mrdeux
Four plus minutes at FL380, with one engine at idle..
The normal procedure is to have MCT on the other, auto thrust off, set green dot for the speed.

Last edited by swh; 5th Jan 2020 at 09:21.