PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to be a pilot: please change my mind!
Old 5th Jan 2020, 08:16
Gruntilda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to be a pilot: please change my mind!

Good evening,

I apologise if this isn't posted in the appropriate section, please move the post if this is the case.

Title says all! But I'm going to get a bit into details. As I'm enjoying the last evening of my summer break and getting ready to go back to work tomorrow...
I'm in my early thirties, born in Europe and moved to Australia ~4 years ago. I work in finance for an amazing company which is doing very well. It's a small business and we all get along, the job itself is the best I've ever had and being a small business I got to help on everything when needed so there's more variety than your typical large company jobs.
I have been treated and rewarded very well. Money is good. But you know, in the end, it's a job. I feel very fortunate.

The thing is: my true passion is aviation. I do plane spotting very often (2-4 times a month). I still feel the same rush and amazement when I hear the ATC say "cleared for takeoff" and few seconds later the roar of the engines... I just wish I was the one in control of the aircraft. It doesn't help that being a female I am also tempted by the sirens of the "diversity" programs at almost every company.

Now back to reality. Honestly, I've done the maths and between the uncertainty and the guaranteed opportunity cost... I know it's not worth it. There's the risk that the novelty wears off and that between rostering and all the issues I've read about, there's only a tiny chance that I end up in a better position that I am at now (if I even get a job in the first place). And it doesn't look to me that the future will be any better.
I've thought about a PPL but in my opinion it would just be setting a foot through the door and I'd be even more tempted to try and change careers. It's also a decent chunk of money for something that would just be a hobby.

Still, even if I reasonably know that it's not worth it, a part of me just cannot let it go.

I guess what I'm looking for is current/former pilots to "talk me out of it". If you had to start over today in your thirties leaving a good career behind, please tell me why you would not recommend it. Or if you've left your pilot career for another one. It would really help.
I wish there were options to travel on the jump seats... But I suppose I was born 20 years too late for this.

Cheers!