PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life Vest / Survival Gear Discussion...
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2003, 06:16
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up EPIRB Choices...

It's funny that you mentioned the GPS/PLB scenario... I was just thinking about that. I have a Garmin 196 Aviation GPS that I usually take with me, and can upload information to the PLB from that. However, I also came to the conclusion that it is unlikely that I would have time to disconnet the GPS from the top of the instrument panel and take it with me if I had to ditch. So, I'm thinking about putting a small, waterproof GPS in my vest so that I can upload coordinate information to the PLB. I'm still thinking about that one.

Concerning the choice of PLB, I selected the GyPSI because of submersion ratings, power output, and battery life. I could have purchased a PLB with an integrated GPS (like Fastfind Plus), but I like to keep systems separate in the event of a single component failure. Besides, the GyPSI is a pretty rugged PLB and happens to fit perfectly in the left pocket of my vest (behind HEEDs III).

I've had a few people tell me that I should also carry a radio, but I think that is over doing it. I've got a hand-held radio/VOR, but it's too big and too heavy to put in my vest. That said, I wish they made a small hand-held GPS with integrated radio. Garmin has two models, but they use the family radio fequencies only (useless for aviation needs).

So, I'm considering adding a small, hand-held, submersible GPS to the vest to upload coordinate information to the PLB. It would be nice to see where the currents are drifting me and I'd have an idea of my own location over time. That may or may not be useful... it may be useless. I haven't really decided.

Please, toss in your 2 cents (anyone)...