PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8 Fails at the ATPL's
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2020, 03:07
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Not really on topic but hopefully will receive a chuckle.When I was undertaking a course, many years ago, for what, if memory serves me, was a SCPL I was told a number of stories, by the gentleman that ran the school. Apart from his personal stories, WWII fighter pilot, exchange posting post WW11 to the Sates, career in commercial airlines(TAA If memory serves), Physics Prof at a Uni etc. were the run in’s he had with what was CAA and the really bureaucratic let alone professional incompetency’s. Delightful chap but I am not 100% certain I have his name correct so will not state. One of his stories was on a young chap going for his CPL or SCPL and failing. Father (at that time a Check and Training CAPT with Q) not overly impressed and said son work harder. Son did so, resat, failed again. Father less impressed, tutored son. Son resat, failed again. Father again not impressed but having tutored son was aware of his knowledge so decided to sit the test with son and both failed. Father approached the testing body and was directed to the individual that did the marking to enquire about his and his son’s results. Individual said in a somewhat exacerbated tone, “it’s no mistake as I cannot make a mistake as a template is used and placed on the answer sheet” (the days of a,b,c or d) as he flourished the template. Father than enquired where are your other templates which received a dumbfounded look. It was than explained that there were five different sets of test’s which surprisingly required five templates. The “maker” than threw his hands in the air stating it wasn’t his fault as he was only filling in as he had been doing so for the last eighteen months.