PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Worth their weight in gold!!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2003, 05:52
Grob Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words of support…

I’ve phoned Humberside and told them of my appreciation. The reality is that if there had been on one to talk to then I’d have been in real trouble. It taught me an awful lot today…. How you can be happily flying along VFR, and before you know it, you’re into IMC conditions.

Number Cruncher… Sturgate has no instrument approach procedures, but that’s really not a problem… You should always be able to find somewhere to land (like Humberside). Yes, the aircraft might be stranded there for a few days, even weeks and it might cost £20 a night, but who cares… The reality is that it could well save your bacon!!! I don’t want to sound like an expert because I’m not. I’m still very much a young pilot who is learning all the time. But one thing is for sure… I’ll be starting my IMC training very soon!

I can honestly say those first few minutes were awful, having to keep descending to maintain sight of the ground, was one of the biggest problems…. Not only did I end up lost and disorientated, I was also VERY low… A bad combination to be in! It might have been better if I’d experienced that before with an instructor, but I was on my own. Despite having someone on the end of the radio, it felt very lonely when I popped out on top of the haze and it was all white!!

I guess I was fortunate today… I cant stress to people enough how valuable ATC are, and if you need help… Ask!!!