PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skyryse Luna: Retrofitted autopilot to any helicopter? (R44 in video)
Old 4th Jan 2020, 12:01
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab: yes, yes, you have to accept airspeed variations if you want to go completely hands-off with 2-axis autopilot. Set your power, set your heading/altitude and/or nav. mode, eat your sandwich and watch the airspeed wander a bit. Welcome to the wonderful world of inexpensive, 2-axis autopilots. Probably something you are not familiar with, but to those of us who dwell at the low end of the aircraft cost and performance envelope they are bread and butter.

I've experienced them in fixed wing settings, but have yet to experience it in a rotary wing setting. I suppose I may have to rest a foot on a pedal since there is no yaw trim in a 44 or 66, depending on the rigging, or just accept flying a bit sideways, too. A small price to pay for being able to eat my sandwich with two hands so to speak, which, along with the ability to get the aircraft to a defined 3-dimensional point in space, regardless of airspeed variations, is a good enough definition of an autopilot for me

And, yes, I 100% agree that the HeliSAS devolves to essentially SAS-only at low airspeed regimes, and should be managed appropriately.