PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do all R44s have throttle governors ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 15:57
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbiee
they say it stalls at 80, so why is it not stalling at 70?,...as I don't recall them mentioning that you must have forward speed to get low rpm rotor stall?
Yes with forward airspeed---you will get retreating blade stall. NOT in the hover.

Go try this, I assume you have access to an R-22: Establish a stabilized 2 foot hover, turn off the governor and SLOWLY wind down the throttle to 70%, (and I mean SLOWLY), as you do, you will be constantly adding collective and left pedal. Then slowly wind throttle back on again---repeat a few times till you are comfortable. Worse case if you screw it up, you will just settle to the ground, at which point start again.

I am certainly NOT trying to get you to go outside your comfort zone, but merely trying to expand your comfort zone in a safe manner. Feel free to do this with an instructor, (forgive me if you are one---I do not know).

Hopefully you will learn something and feel better about it---I try to learn something new every day.

For the person who flew a traffic pattern at 70%---- I am sorry there are bad CFI's out there----I echo 212man's comment---"Stay well clear of this person".

Last edited by Gordy; 3rd Jan 2020 at 15:58. Reason: Spelling