PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 03:15
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like the one in visual approach, we should put flaps 30 and turn base when times up, but in actual, should we put flaps 30 and wait for them in position then begin the base turn, or delay the flaps until I’m level on the base (which only few seconds before my final turn). When you're abeam the threshold it's 'gear down, flap 20 (dial back the speed)'. You arm the speedbrake. PM says 'gear down, flap 20' and you call for the landing checklist. By now you'll be approaching the turn point so ask for flap 30, dial in the final speed and start the turn. It takes a couple fo seconds for the flap to go from 20 to 30 and by the time the speed has been dialled back it's time to turn. Don't worry about making sure they're at 30 before you turn, don't wait until you're on base and definitely do not extend downwind to do so. The cadence works:

PF: Abeam 'start time'. 'Gear down, Flap 20, Speed Vref+20'. Arm speedbrake
PM: 'Gear down, Flap 20'
PF: 'Landing checklist'
PF/PM: Carry out landing checklist, hold at Flaps
PF: 'Flap 30, Speed Vref+5'
PM: 'Flap 30'
At this point you start the turn and can then ask the PM to 'continue landing checklist' (which is just 'Flaps')
Set an initial RoD of about 600 FPM and watch the 'noodle' to vary your bank angle

Also, “Arm Spd Bke” is part of PM’s procedural action during lowering the gear, or it’s a call out from PF?
And how do I know if it’s been properly armed, by looking at the lever position or there’s a message on the display? PF arms the speed brake. You just need to lift it slightly and move it back a few cms. You'll feel it click into place. There's no message, so you'll have to look down to check it when challenged on the Landing Checklist

And one last, during the descent toward MDA for VOR 17, do they expect you initiating the descent by the definition of “established“, or you have to wait until centered CDI? It sounds picky but in the profile, the timings are separate to “PM calls one dot before” and “established, descend with VS mode”. Which I’m curios that one dot should be 5° and also means established, but the profile looks like they want you descend after CDI centered. You can descend any time you are within 5 degrees. Hopefully you'll be nicely lined up before then, with the CDI centred, but DO NOT descend outside 5 degrees. That is the only rule and you will fail if you do so. Less than 1 dot and you can make your way down.