PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GS mini versus VFE
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 16:51
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
If that's 21st-century aeronautical syntax, I bow to your superior knowledge, FlightDetent! Or could it simply be the invention of a Francophone technical writer at St. Martin-du-Touch? If it is standard terminology, is there a new-age syntax guide available somewhere?
Hello again, healthy 2020! I feel the opposite is true. It is you who used superior aviation knowledge to decipher an unknown code by observing the circumstances and connecting the dots through experience. My hat's off to you. Unless you've been pulling my socks, in which case a bow is included.

Back on the topic: The bulletin I provided at post #10 is dated 2004 but taken from FCOM version 2008 (Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4). Shortly afterwards, the whole bookset had been heavily restructured and all blue FCOM bulletins cancelled. Their information was only partly embedded into the main text and I believe for a few years the explanation of GSmini internal workings was lost altogether.

Fast forward today, FCOM says what's shown upthread, and that does NOT include the 10 kt "mandatory rwy HW" that I pointed out.

Yet that's what the machine does. Courtesy of a couple of talented and tolerant colleagues, a little controlled observation was done. The GSmini algorithm that adjusts the Vapp really assumes at least 10 kt headwind component at the threshold. Calm wind, tailwind, at all times.

Last edited by FlightDetent; 3rd Jan 2020 at 07:12.