PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing stays firmly on course... to the bottom
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 14:13
Fursty Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus has tended to devise systems where pilots are trained to let automated systems handle emergencies, and company executives say that approach will continue. Executives at Boeing and Airbus have said they are also designing flight-control systems tailored for younger pilots, who generally have less flying time in their logbooks—and a more innate familiarity with technology—than aviators of years past.
An interesting view. In 5000 hours on the A320 series at no point did I feel like I was letting an "automated system" handle emergencies. I handled the emergency, and used the benefit of the fly-by-wire and system management to reduce my workload. I can't think of any conceivable reason why I might want to deliberately stall, pull more than 2.5G, or bank beyond 67 degrees a transport category aircraft, but I can think of situations where being able to extract every ounce of performance it can offer might be useful.

FADEC is designed to exploit maximum performance from an engine while protecting it from overtemp / overboost, yet I don't hear people complaining about it.