PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do all R44s have throttle governors ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 12:22
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clearedtocross
The earlier R44 (Raven I) are all carburated, only the Raven II have fuel injections. Problem with the carburated ones is that the governor compensates carb ice until the throttle is fully open with no indication to the pilot except the turning of the throttle grip. Rpm and manifold pressure remain static until there is no throttle way left. Once the rpm drops, you are in deep trouble as the engine may not provide enough heat anymore to clear the manifold. We flew all carbed Robinsons with the carb heat on when outside temp was below 15 degrees C. Fuel guzzling but safe.
You can still buy Raven I's, it's still a current model.

As long as you do your job managing carb heat per the relevant POH, R22 or R44 (and they are different in this area, so go read carefully), you should not have a problem. Just like you shouldn't have a problem in any other carb-equipped piston engine aircraft. Get behind the power curve (hah, a pun!) on your carb heat management and you could have a problem. I'm not sure when it came into use, but newer R22 and R44's have a carb heat assist system that helps manage the carb heat. See Section 4 in the Raven I POH. Also Safety Notice 25.

This is one thing about the G2 that I am jealous of, which is the electronic, automatic carb heat system on that aircraft. It would be very nice to see a similar system on the R22 and R44 Raven I's, and a power limit indicator to go along with it. I've heard rumors that Robinson is working on electronic engine instrumentation. That would be a very welcome addition since Robinson has already fully embraced Garmin glass and Genesys HeliSAS for those willing to pay for it.