PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost and stolen Weapons and ammunition
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 11:31
Fourteenbore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellow Sun
I’m sorry NRU74 but you need to sit down and have a long chat with someone who has a sound working knowledge of the Firearms Act, Whilst your proposal is made with the best of intentions it has so many flaws in it that it would be difficult to know where to start. In addition, the cadet forces have become so burdened with regulation relating to shooting that it’s amazing that anything is ever accomplished.

Another potential problem that is on the horizon is the amendment or withdrawal of S11(4) of the Firearms Act, the part relating to Miniature Rifle Ranges. This has in the past enabled cadet units to acquire non-service smallbore firearms and ammunition without the need for a Firearm Certificate. If it is withdrawn and nothing replaces it, then it could cause significant problems as cadet units would have to be made exempt of the requirements for Home Office Approval in order to qualify for a no cost FAC (at present). The can of worms all this could open is rather large.

YS
Jumping in with trepidation. On the Deacts, there is an EU directive which exceeds our requirements and makes the exercise rather pointless. I am deacting a front loading revolver, and apart from milling a slot in the barrel and welding in a hardened steel rod, the walls between the chambers have to be milled out, connection of trigger and hammer ground off and both welded to frame. Cylinder also has to be welded to frame, no moving parts left.. The mess all this welding makes means you would be better off making a mould of the whole thing and casting a solid repro in spelter or Mazac.
I hear coming down the line is another directive banning the use of lead ammo on environmental grounds. No, not just shotgun, everything. Ranges are going to try claiming that the butts stop all shot, and it is reclaimed and recycled. What air gunners will do I can't imagine. It will end my shooting as I use 19th century pieces, and their barrels will not take anything other than lead, rifling on long guns dependent on powder blast expanding bullet into lands. I presume the military will get away with using jacketed ammo.
Few thousand jobs lost around the Country, but must be worth it, eh?