PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost and stolen Weapons and ammunition
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2020, 16:03
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NRU74
Is a possible solution, so that the cadets get at least a bit of shooting, for one of the instructors to get a Firearms Certificate ( restricted to authorised ranges only) for someone else’s locally owned .22 ?
For instance I’ve got a CZ452 .22 and I’m more than prepared to loan it to the local ATC or whatever on an occasional basis. It’s got a fairly large scope and a sound moderator but would at least give the kids the opportunity of firing live ammo.
I suppose I could go and supervise myself but suspect I’d have to do the Disclosure and Barring Service thing first.
I’m sorry NRU74 but you need to sit down and have a long chat with someone who has a sound working knowledge of the Firearms Act, Whilst your proposal is made with the best of intentions it has so many flaws in it that it would be difficult to know where to start. In addition, the cadet forces have become so burdened with regulation relating to shooting that it’s amazing that anything is ever accomplished.

Another potential problem that is on the horizon is the amendment or withdrawal of S11(4) of the Firearms Act, the part relating to Miniature Rifle Ranges. This has in the past enabled cadet units to acquire non-service smallbore firearms and ammunition without the need for a Firearm Certificate. If it is withdrawn and nothing replaces it, then it could cause significant problems as cadet units would have to be made exempt of the requirements for Home Office Approval in order to qualify for a no cost FAC (at present). The can of worms all this could open is rather large.

YS