PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Flying - is it enough?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2019, 11:23
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
PapaechoIT - it is a shame you had such a negative experience in the sim, they really come into their own for larger, more complex aircraft where the handling qualities are less important than learning the procedures and processes in the RFM for handling emergencies.

Although I have gained a lot from sim training over the years, the sim owners/operators will tell you it is like the real aircraft when it clearly isn't.

You have two main problems - 1 is the modelling for the flight dynamics which is often a generic helicopter tweaked to approximate the real type (never does) and 2 is the projection system and latency within that - your brain is accustomed to the real aircraft in a real world and the response times of control inputs therein - if you lag that response you inevitably cause pilot induced oscillations (PIOs) until your brain gets used to the lag.

I used to find the 365 sim a nightmare for the first hour until adaptation took place and you played it like the computer game it is rather than trying to fly it like the real aircraft which it isn't.

The value in procedure and emergency training was high though so it will always be a trade off.

In discussions in the past where cost-saving has driven more training from the real aircraft to the sim, I have always opposed the idea that pure handling skills should be taught in the sim.