PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush first-aid kit
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2019, 07:17
rcsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Aid

Hey buddy.

The primary objective is to keep them breathing and stop them bleeding while you can get them to help, or help to them. A big bleed or blocked airway will kill first. The next biggest threat is shock. Keep a cellphone in a zipped inner pocket to increase the chance of being able to communicate - if there's signal where you come to earth. Be prepared to triage casualties. Do a HEST/HEFAT trauma first aid course, with a strong Remote Areas component.

My kit contains:
  • CAT Tourniquet (mil type for 'single handed' operation)
  • Pressure bandage with lever (generally known as 'Israeli' bandages - remove the 'Made in Israel' sticker if you're travelling in some areas)
  • Celox or Kwikclot or similar haemostatic agent.
  • SamSplint
  • The most powerful painkillers that won't get you arrested (so no morphine unless you have a friendly doc who can get it for you, then make sure you carry the prescription)
  • Gaffer tape (I've seen gaffer tape and superglue used to hold together traumatic injuries in the short term)
  • Leatherman (which you'll lose if you try to check in on a flight from any commercial airport, of course!)
  • Cling-film is good for covering burns
  • Aluminium survival blanket
Add
  • a compass
  • all-weather matches
  • 5mt loop of paracord
  • water purification tabs,
  • emergency cell phone with good battery life and strong signal - I use a Nokia 3310 with a TravelSim SIM card
  • signalling mirror
and you have a decent emergency travel kit that should weigh in under a kilo. Put it in a 'grab bag' that is never out of reach.