PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Go-Around tragedy. Pilot error all over again
Old 30th Dec 2019, 21:17
Stuka Child

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by safetypee
dh, agree.
SI involves acceleration; generally longitudinal, and lesser in non-turning flight while pitching up. A GA contributes little speed change nor great rotation acceleration, usually very short duration and thus insufficient for disorientation.
This appears to to be the reasoning behind the conclusion in the accident investigation.

The pitch - body feel - stick / trim feel aspects could create a different illusion.
I recall that there was a very interesting 757 event during GA where this could have contributed.
Is this the incident you had in mind?
REPORT 7/2003 - Date: 22 January 2003
SERIOUS INCIDENT TO ICELANDAIR BOEING 757-200 AT OSLO AIRPORT GARDERMOEN NORWAY 22 JANUARY 2002
Aircraft type: Boeing 757-208
Registration: TF-FIOOwner:Flugleidir h/f, 101 Reykjavik airport, Reykjavik
Operator: Flugleidir h/f, 101 Reykjavik airport, Reykjavik
Crew: 2/5
Passengers: 75
Incident site: Over RWY 01L at Oslo airport Gardermoen
Date and time of incident: 22 January 2002 at time 1049 hrs.

I'm not allowed to post URLs yet, but I'll gladly PM you the link and maybe you can share it for everyone to read.

Get a hold of this: "the lowest altitude in the recovery was 321 ft radio altitude with a peaked load factor of +3.59 g’s."

Seconds from being another tragedy, just like all these nosing-over in IMC incidents we're reading about. Confused Captain is PF, gets behind the aircraft (due to illusions or whatever other reason), puts the plane in a steep dive; only this time the PM manages to snap him out of it and they both pull for their lives and barely escape before hitting the ground. Some passengers get a glimpse of the earth at the lowest point of the recovery, the cabin is a mess, everybody (except the sheepish flight deck crew) is traumatized for life, but thankfully everyone is alive.

Pretty sure there are some obvious problems that all these incidents and accidents have in common, and that they need to be addressed in training. Urgently.