PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Startle" Effect during type rating training.
Old 30th Dec 2019, 13:09
BluSdUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Startle- Fear- Panic!

I find some of the " New" politically correct words are masking the real problem.
In the old days we were surprised, then we got scared, and then we panicked into action!
This feeling and urge to do something, ANYTHING, had to be controlled , or we made things worse.
"Take a deep breath , sit on You hands" was at times good advice!
Airbus has apparently come to the same conclusion.

With regards to sim training:
Do not teach anything wrong, ie Unrealistic , unsolvable stuff just to " startle" pilots.
Otherwise , anything goes in the sim ,as I would rather ask for a sim reset with a red face then try to dig myself out of a hole in the ground in real life.
This coddling, pre -planned, feelgood, predictable sim stuff, has reached its useful limit, in my humble opinion!
Eating some humble pie in the sim has certainly worked for me, and I did some of it live in Hollywood the first 4000hrs before I ever touched a sim.
Since getting Yourself properly confused and scared in a Cessna 185 up towards Hudson Bay is not the recommended way anymore I propose we push our personal limits for say 15 minutes a year in a safe and cozy sim box.

Remember:
" What happens in the sim, stays in the sim" as I always assured my victims!
The self-insight and knowledge You bring with You to the real world, when applicable.

On that note, I am gone fishing! The Cod is in!
I wish You all the best for the New Year.
Safe Landing to all.

Kind regards
Cpt B