PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLF avoid travel on 737 max
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2019, 07:35
ATSA1

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have watched this story unfold for some time, and what really worries me is that Boeing and the FAA will come up with a MCAS 2.0 or whatever, and try and tell every Airworthiness board and the General Public, that the MAX is "safe and a perfectly good airplane"

It seems the general opinion here and elsewhere, that MCAS is more than a software fix to make the MAX fly like a 737NG, to avoid recertification and all the pitfalls and expense that this would entail...do we know if the MAX can fly to all corners of the envelope without MCAS? If it cannot, then will Boeing re certify it as a "7X7" and train pilots accordingly, or just try a PR campaign to convince everyone that its safe as is? Or will they just say that the whole MAX programme is simply too big to fail, and nearly 5000 orders cannot be cancelled?

How far will Boeing develop the 737 after this, and still insist that intrinsically, its still a good ol 1967 based B737? As someone has already mentioned, when the -400 was introduced to British Midland's fleet in the late 80s, all the -200 rated pilots did was a multi choice exam (not sure about any Sim time) and off they went, flying paying Pax, and still asking each other, "What does this button do?" I thought that Kegworth had put a stop to all that!

If re certification is required, then maybe a lot of customers will simply cancel and buy something else, like an A320NEO or even a Comac C919?

Please dont think that I am anti Boeing, far from it....they have made some truly wonderful aircraft over the years, my favourite is the 757, a true workhorse, even now Airbus struggle to match it with the A321..

Although I am not really a frequent flyer, I have flown in a large number of different types, including Airliners, gliders, microlights, helicopters and a Hawk jet trainer, I have never got in an aircraft that I was afraid of....but now I for one will be avoiding the MAX like the Plague!

Oh, and the comment about all US pilots being damn good pilots without any bad ones, was arrogant beyond belief!