PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2019, 06:49
ATNotts

Received 298 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by LGS6753
The SLAE "report" is pretty thin - more of a polemic from a red-top newspaper than a serious analysis.

One of my hopes for post-Brexit Britain is that immigration is limited. It's these zero-hours contract jobs on the minimum wage that are fed by new arrivals. Often single people, they can live cheaply, and are prepared to work hard and conscientiously for little pay and no guarantees - but often for far more money than they can earn in their home country.

If the supply of cheap labour was limited, employers would have to improve pay and conditions to retain staff. Those that didn't would lose business.

This sounds like a long-term hope, but I firmly believe that it could be a positive spin-off from the cessation of "freedom of movement", which has fuelled the current surge in low-security, low-paid jobs.

And I speak as someone with first-hand experience of this end of the jobs market.
A pious hope I fear. The PM is not anti immigration, he his anti EU (allegedly) and anti free movement. UK workers have come to enjoy the luxury of not having to do those nasty, low paid jobs in hospitality and customer facing service industries and the likes of Tim Martin won't allow them to stop the supply of lower paid workers from abroad to impact on their salaries and corporate profits. Dream on I'm afraid.