PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Go-Around tragedy. Pilot error all over again
Old 30th Dec 2019, 03:30
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda
I suspect you have never experienced SI.
Training and awareness is key to survival in my opinion. When I have experienced it the problem is not one of poor instrument flying skills, nor lack of scan. It is a problem of perceived conflicting information.
The sense that you are pitching nose high, almost to vertical, is so strong that the other sensed cue ( visual) of an AH at 15 degrees nose up is difficult to believe. The conflicting sensed information takes some processing and a decision has to be made to ignore the seat of the pants and go against every fibre in your body and maintain the AH pitch required. The second time you make this decision is much much easier than the first. Solid training and awareness of the illusion is key to being able to make the correct decision.
well aerobatics was part of my initial training(long time ago and never again)and I have done go arounds in piston, turboprop and three comercial jets including a FBW. Did I experience SI? You tell me. All I did was pulled aircraft to required pitch and set the thrust. Am I immune to SI? Definitely not. Had I done anything differently and not monitored the attitude before and after then I would have reacted the same way. Solid training? You cannot be trained against SI in a simulator. You only get trained as I said to manoeuvre to required pitch and bank. Awareness? Everyone has been made aware of SI. We are made aware so that we don't react by feelings but to reality on the instruments which according to you is almost impossible. So back to square one.