PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFL advice
Thread: PFL advice
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2019, 19:49
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
BTW a questions for the fine contributors to this forum. How many folks do a silent mental review of vital actions for the EFATO and if so what do you say to yourself ?
Not silent, I do it out loud.
This will be my take-off, on runway NN, rotating at (points at dial), and initial climb at (points at dial). In the event of an engine failure on the runway, I'll pull everything back and stop ahead. In the event of an engine failure after take-off I'll land ahead, turning no more than 30 degrees left or right (and on this runway, the best option is probably....) - my speed on engine failure is XX, and if height permits I'll do **** with the flaps.

[If I have a passenger] if this happens, please if able [sliding canopy aeroplane] turn this, and pull that to fully open the canopy before we touch down. Once all of the bits have stopped moving, open your harness like this, then climb out and go rapidly sideways away from the aeroplane. DO NOT COME BACK unless it's to rescue me. Was that clear, and do you have any questions?
Last done today with one of my regular recreational flying passengers.

A few years ago I had a rather unpleasant EFATO, that put me through a hedge. I followed my self brief. The AAIB inspector in robust debrief expressed the opinion that this saved my life and that of my passenger, insofar as I made no attempt to turn back in a condition where there was no energy with which to do so, and did fly the aeroplane all the way into the crash.

G