PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Worth their weight in gold!!!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2003, 23:36
Grob Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC - Worth their weight in gold!!!!

Went flying today from Sturgate, up to the Humber and spurn point. The weather wasn’t the best, but it was ok… There was a bit of haze about but it was well within limits, and there was a good 10K viz... I was talking to Humberside radar all the way.

Anyway, recovering back to Sturgate, I have to descend due to low cloud. I descend a bit more, and a bit more until I’m at 600’. It’s not looking good, but I’m still with Humberside and there’s only 6 miles to run. I could see Hibalstow and Kirton in lindsey… Then suddenly, it’s totally white… I cant see anything in front, above, and more importantly, below! I descend another 100’ down to 500’. I still can’t see anything.

I’d never been in a situation like that before. I must be honest, for the fist 30 secs or so, I was ‘worried / scarred / nervous’… Anyway, I made a 180 turn, called Humberside back, told them the situation I was in and asked what the Wx was like there. They said it was pretty good. So, I climbed in top of the haze and got Humberside to direct all the way in.

The morel of this store… Don’t be afraid to ask for help!

If the controller at Humberside is reading this… THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for all your help today… I really appreciate it.

Fortunately my passenger had never flown in a light aircraft before and had no idea of the seriousness of the situation!