PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus FO
Thread: Aer Lingus FO
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2019, 08:13
PeppyJeppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingmed
Ongoing recruitment for the next few years although there may be some downtime during that time frame. You would fall into the direct entry pilot position with your experience, meaning a job in the right seat of an A320. Probably you would be on the A320 for 2-5 years before it is possible get a place in the right seat of the A330. Command time at the moment somewhere between 7-9 years for the A320 and around 20years for the A330. Although there is quite a large group of pilots retiring in the next few years they will be replaced with quite young captains so this time frame will potentially slow down quite a lot in the coming years.

Lifestyle for the A320 = 5 days on, 3 days off. Home nearly every night. (Overnight trips are available in London, Cork and Shannon) / Plenty of leave, most being in the winter but a guarantee of some during the summer season / Approx 800-900hrs a year.
Lifestyle for the A330 = Random roster, winters can be slow and then hectic in summer / Approx 600-800hrs a year / Similar leave to the A320 fleet.

Starting NET salary is very bad given the cost of living in Dublin & the tax rates. The pay only works out if you stay for the long run.

You mentioned you're quite interested in command. If I was you I would probably be trying to get into FR. 5 on 4 off roster and with your experience potentially a short time before being offered a move to the left seat. More options on bases or commuting. I don't want to scare you away from the EI option but it really does depend on where you want to be in the next 10-15 years and not just the immediate future. EI is more of a career option, FR would be better if you are looking at quick command & more immediate results.

Good luck!
Thanks for a very comprehensive answer.

I'm aware the pay is not the best but like I said it's a lifestyle choice due to family issues encountered out here.
I left RYR to come here and am not inclined to return as it's a dog an pony show now by all accounts.

I suppose I wondering overall if I'm too old to be taking a ticket and getting in line in a pure seniority system and I'm assuming previous experience counts for nothing bar knowing the ropes of commercial flying?