PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Go-Around tragedy. Pilot error all over again
Old 29th Dec 2019, 05:10
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure Vilas. It’s all about good sense and judgement. A320 especially the Neos are overpowered. , climb power on any A320 would give you more than 2000 feet /min which is more than required to comply with the mininum climb gradient.
I have seen a fo going around at 800 feet ( it was a NPA), set TOGA and kept it until alt*. We were climbing around 4000 feet/min on A321. Alt* was triggered with a very high pitch and he immediately set climb power. As a result the speed dropped below VLS cause of the ALT* logic. It was not that serious but completely avoidable by keeping toga slightly longer or by having decided to perform a soft go around using climb power immediately after tapping TOGA.
We had another case where the crew were instructed to go around, the Fo as PF immediately set TOGA but only pitch like 5/7 degrees up probably because of Somatogravic illusion. Captain failed to take over in time and due to the very high acceleration by using TOGA, they overspeed the flaps.
I’m convinced if they had performed a soft go around they would not have overspeed.
My point is of course we should be able to fly with TOGA; Some cases TOGA would be the safest option and monitoring is the key but why would you make your life more complicated when you don’t have to. Especially during a go around where most of the time you don’t expect it,and probably poorly prepared as in the simulator most go around are done in single engine which is much easier in term of energy management.
Plus the fact that many skippers do not fly raw data anymore, how could you expect them to perform a safe go around with TOGA...