PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Go-Around tragedy. Pilot error all over again
Old 28th Dec 2019, 22:38
Fly Aiprt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Judd
Funny that aircraft carrier pilots are not crashing all over the world during thousands of catapulted takeoffs and wave-offs (go arounds) every year. After all, you can not imagine a more severe acceleration in these aircraft.

One thing noticeable in many accident reports involving a go-around accident at night or in IMC, is that authors of these reports are quick to use somatogravic illusions as contributing factors when they know there is no way of proving these were positively identified as present. A get-out-of-jail free, card
After having flown and taught hundreds of aerobatics flight hours, I'd like to point out that somatogavic and spatial disorientation do occur, especially when one is not accustomed to rotations and accelerations, or when something unusual occurs (aircraft upset, etc.) or when visual cues are lacking.
It even happens to well trained fighter pilots.
There is no means of simulating rotations and accelerations in the sim, and I doubt many airlines do practice aircraft upsets in a real plane, so I wouldn't be so affirmative re this "poor instrument flying skills".