PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFL advice
Thread: PFL advice
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2019, 16:42
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
The key to an effective cause check is to have a good flow check where you use the airplane layout to guide you. For the C 172 (carburated) I teach a counterclockwise circle starting at the fuel selector so the order is

Fuel - both -quantity check
Mixture - full rich
Carb heat - hot
Ignition - both, left, right, both

I should be able to phone you at 0200, wake you from a sound sleep and say CAUSE CHECK ! and you should by visualizing the panel be able to rattle off the 4 items

The other advantage of this check is you just repeat the flow it to shut down the engine if you have determined you are not going to get useful power from it

Fuel - Off
Mixture - ICO
Carb heat - cold
Ignition - off

Finally the best thing you can do if you are cruising along at altitude and the engine fails is after you have pointed the airplane at a suitable field, take a deep breath and say to your self " Well that kind of sucks but I know how to deal with it starting with the cause check" . Many many times in training I see an immediate mad rush as soon as I simulate the engine failure. The one thing I never want to see is fast hands in the cockpit

BTW a questions for the fine contributors to this forum. How many folks do a silent mental review of vital actions for the EFATO and if so what do you say to yourself ?