PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euro market pilot saturation
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2019, 09:41
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, I feel there’s a lot of tarring with the same brush going on here.

I was a product of the integrated system, and within a couple of weeks of finishing training was on a jet type rating for a European airline. Many will say “Ah, well you’ve just bought your job”, and think what you like. Far be it from me to make a modular versus integrated thread, but some points need to be made.

What I can say is that there are exceptional cadets from integrated schemes, there are diabolical ones. Same as there are exceptional products of the modular route, as there are terrible ones.

I know 1000 hour ex- integrated cadets who trainers say have better flying skill, situational awareness, decision making and CRM than most captains do. I also know 1000 hour ex cadets who can’t land the aircraft in still air. And I completely agree, there are plenty of people with wealthy families who want a “glamourous” job, and to be seen strutting through Manchester airport with their uniform and Samsonite luggage.

I’ve flown with captains who preach about the thousands of hours they spent “paying their dues” towing banners or instructing, before they eventually got their first airline job. The most vocal ones are shocking, but plenty are very good. The same with FOs. I really can’t say who is better or worse, as every aspect has good and bad.

I can’t help but think that quality control should be done through airline selection, initial training, and checks. And I do think that plenty of airlines do this quite well. If a 200 hour cadets has a better sim and assessment performance than a 2000 hour banner tower, then they should get the job. Regardless of the “dues they’ve paid”. I honestly don’t see a single valid point of establishing a 1500 hour rule in Europe. Especially when in my airline the most vocal advocates of this are the ones who know they don’t have the ability to move to a better airline, and know they’ll be outperformed by cadets.