PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Military Division of the New Year Honours 2020
Old 28th Dec 2019, 08:28
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Devils Advocate

I’m not saying I disagree with the previous viewpoints entirely and I can’t pretend I care either way. I am content that I am highly unlikely to ever receive such an award and it really does not bother me in the slightest.

Here’s the contentious bit though. And I really am just saying it to play devils advocate not because I really believe it. Maybe those senior officers have earned the honour? Maybe the higher up the pole you get, the more influence you have and therefore the easier it is to earn an honour.

I fly jets. I’ve been doing it for a reasonably long time. But in the grand scheme of things, I am just one pilot doing a common job and my individual contribution doesn’t keep the world turning. Andy Edgell’s contribution on the other hand has had more of an impact, hence the honour.

Now, if SAC Bloggs were to have revolutionised the toilet cleaning role and made a contribution that changes the toilet cleaning world for the better then maybe he could receive an honour. But just like I don’t deserve an honour simply for doing my day job maybe neither does he?

I just can’t shake the feeling that every time the honours list comes out we get the standard sour grapes posts. Just try to be happy for others rather than gnashing your teeth. It’ll save your teeth for starters.

BV