PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When it's ready.....
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2019, 06:34
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 'gently introduce a 1 degree pitch up' technique I find works well for propeller driven aircraft but got the test pilots at de Havilland in trouble at Hatfield when developing the Comet, the World's first jet airliner. Pitching up before proper flying speed just introduced more drag and the aircraft failed to get airborne. The pilots were apparently used to propwash producing significant lift over the wings, absent with jet engines embedded in the wings. I believe airline pilots wait with no back pressure until Vr is declared, then pull firmly to the required pitch angle, generally about 12 degrees.
Personally, I think that the back-pressure before flying speed technique is more about reducing drag from the nosewheel on the surface than other aerodynamic considerations. That's how we teach soft-field takeoff in the PA28 - flap 25, stick full back, full power promptly, relax back pressure as you feel the nose pitching up to just get the nosewheel out of the mud. Depending on weight and conditions, PA28 should get airborne around 50kt. People ask me what speed I take off at. I say 'I don't know, after the T&P, airspeed building glance in, I'm looking out the window'.

TOO