PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Totals 2019
Thread: Totals 2019
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2019, 01:04
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoelEvans
Very valid point.

In some parts of some countries that is probably a very comfortable income. Clearly to the perception some in other places it is not...

What free time do you have? Evenly spread through the year, that is. That is better for health than money is (going back to the original post).
Exactly, I assume that’s either Wizz or Lauda perhaps... Wizz for example, have bases in a host of Eastern European countries undergoing a difficult transition to the western world.

Take Romania for one. The average annual wage is €11,580. €40,000 (one of the earlier posters salary) is 3.5 times the average wage. On the other hand, the average wage in the US is €42,000, therefore the American FO earns roughly 3.2 times the average wage. As much as the Germans will try to convince you, Europe isn’t a federal state. Salaries and conditions are different in different countries. If you don’t like your conditions, you’re free to look elsewhere for work (unless going forward, you’re British but I’ll leave that one there).

Standards of living differ vastly across Europe and obviously, salaries will mirror that. $155,000 will get you a lot more in Mississippi than $155,000 will in California or DC!

The 8 sectors a day trope another die hard posted is frankly rubbish. I work for a European LCC carrier and preference 2 sector days (as a relatively junior captain). I’ll probably do 10-15 days of 3 sectors or more a year - the same is true for the FOs at my outfit with the same bidding presence. A massive difference too is that pilots at the European LCCs for the large part get to spend every night at home with their families. That’s worth a heck of a lot. Anecdotally of course, but I don’t think that’s true for the majority of US legacy and LCC pilots I’ve spoken to on my travels.