PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leeds-7
Thread: Leeds-7
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2019, 18:51
Helen49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not opposed to the development of LBIA, neither do I have any loyalty to any other airport, however there are fundamental facts, regarding LBIA which have to be faced.
Being 680 ft above sea level in these latitudes produces weather conditions which are not conducive to flight regularity, unless all aircraft operations are able to perform all weather operations.
A runway which is at right angles to prevailing surface winds is less than ideal and frequently unusable.
The runway gradients, approach gradient [in the 14 direction], some shortish declared distances in both directions [particularly TORA on 32 and LD on 14] far from ideal.
Among the worst surface access in the UK. Nearest motorway/dual carriageway miles away. Limited scope and high costs of any improvement.
Lack of level ground and the consequent expense of all construction projects.
Leeds have rarely been a whole-hearted supporter of the Airport and in fact actively opposed any development of the airport throughout the 1970s.
!Periods of inept ownership and management over the past fifty years.
Of course, during this period Manchester and Doncaster/Sheffield have made huge advances in every respect.
In the light of the above it is sad that such a huge catchment lives right on the doorstep of an airport which has such limited hope of significant further development.
I would love to PROVED wrong!

Last edited by Helen49; 27th Dec 2019 at 19:00. Reason: layout change