PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crashes near Kazakhstan airport
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2019, 13:46
Tu.114

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They do not have the same, but very similar wings. While the F28 wing leading edge is rather straight, the F70/100s consists of various straight parts with noticeable angles between them. When the F100 was designed, the F28 wing was taken to Delft (or Utrecht?) University for a revision and improvement, and this is what they made of it. Furthermore, the main difference between the Fokker and the DC9/MD80 is that the Fokker does not have slats or any other leading edge device (except for a small fence and a match-sized stall strip), which might well account for the Fokker wings criticality when it comes to contamination.

It has been a while since I last flew the type and I do not have the performance tables any more, but I would strongly expect the takeoff of the accident flight to have been made with flaps 0°, which is rather normal for this type on long runways and in absence of deicing fluid on the wings.

I do *very* clearly remember the words of many instructors, strictly warning me against accepting the aircraft with the slightest amount of contamination on the wings. Those warnings are best well heeded on the type.