PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euro market pilot saturation
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2019, 22:30
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123

Disagree with the flight instructor route being a good route to airline flying. Had a guy, 8 years as an instructor recently wash out in line training having had 3 chances at final line check. He could handle the aircraft fine but he was shocking (down right dangerous from what I heard) in airline world. I have flown with some good guys who were ex instructors but they have all said they feel they didn’t learn much from it.
I guess it depends on what you do as an instructor. If all you do is teach private and commercial students, that gives you one skill set. Start teaching multi, and particularly instrument, and your skill set broadens significantly.

I went the CFI route, but I know that’s not necessarily the absolute best route. The folks who did the 135 stuff flying in the weather every night in light pistons and turboprops have slightly different competencies and comfort zones than I would have had as a CFI.

Others still, got “lucky” and landed a job in a small corporate jet pretty early on. I’d imagine they have the easiest transition to airline flying, but I don’t know how their transition from props to corporate jet went.

At some point, you’ll have to make the big jump. I guess the quality of your flight experience (not flight time) before that point will dictate how well you do.