PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2019, 23:49
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE Branch Fanatic
Why do you think I am a troll? What innocent beginnings are you talking about? I am a naval Reservist, as I was at the start of this thread, which explains my interest. I have not been directly involved with the carriers except in a very peripheral way.

How do surface warships fight submarines (leaving aside other things such as MPA or friendly SSN/SSK)? Yes that is right, with ship based sonars (particularly towed arrays) and with helicopters with dipping sonar. If you want to keep constant coverage around any sort of high value asset or convoy you need a big deck for multiple ASW helicopters. The term 'long range' is used here to mean defending an area as opposed to a single frigate and helicopter on a submarine hunt. It was an ASW expert I spoke to who used it, a PWO(U), so I assume it is accepted terminology.

I will reply to some of your other points when I find some free time. Suffice to say I think that we need carriers, that the carriers provide unique capabilities we need that cannot be provided any other way, that they are value for money, that they are good for our diplomatic status, help secure the Union, and contribute to exports.

By the way I am not sure you should be criticising my grammar. Stones and glass houses...
WEBF - Fash ye not! Your credentials are transparently beyond reproach which is more than can be said for some of your trolling critics who have always resented carrier aviation.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and all other service personnel, past and present.