PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2019, 23:12
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by falcon900
BVRAAM,
Of course nobody wants another 9/11, but it is naive in the extreme to imagine that it happened out of the blue, and was not connected with prior military activity by the US and her allies.
There is a clear circularity at work here which would suggest that rather than suppressing undesirable behaviour, military intervention tends to amplify it. At the risk of a gross oversimplification, the West have been trying to "sort out" the Middle East with military interventions since the crusades, and the results speak for themselves.
There is a highly coherent argument which can be made to the effect that we should keep our noses out of other peoples business if we want them to keep theirs out of ours. The carriers are unambiguously tools for interfering where we are not welcome. For my own part, I am beginning to question the ideological status quo which has seen the UK as one of a handful of "global policemen", not least as we are simply not tooled up to do the job properly. Despite how impressive it all looks in the customary TV documentary, the carriers look horribly vulnerable against any serious opposition, and a rather expensive way of keeping ourselves in the crosshairs.

I disagree. Islam will be Islam regardless - it's what happens when humans have imaginary friends based on what's written in a book; they assume they are acting upon the will of the creator of the universe.

I'd just prefer it wasn't its ugly self on my doorstep. Hence the need for the aforementioned capabilities.