PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2019, 18:05
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As it is the season of Goodwill I shall refrain from the response some posts richly deserve. Instead let me say just a few things:

1. Both carriers are going to be busy next year. HMS Prince of Wales will be doing sea trials and flying trials - both rotary and fixed wing, and Queen Elizabeth will be contributing to national and NATO capabilities - exercises, maybe even operations. Her role goes beyond flying off F-35B on ground attack missions.

2. The future Navy is built around five areas of output, Continuous At Sea Deterrence, Forward Presence, North Atlantic, Carrier Strike, and the Future Commando/Amphibious Force. The latter three are all closely related - lots of submarines and long range aircraft to worry about, trying to threaten NATO's ability to reinforce and resupply by sea.

3. Despite the 'Carrier Strike' label, the RN leadership has always been aware of the need to protect task groups and maritime logistics and will have made this point to Ministers. A carrier based task group may well include amphibious forces or crisis response shipping. Air Defence and Anti Submarine Warfare have always been part of the plan. Carrierborne ASW is not new - and you do need a carrier or something like one to provide enough helicopters for constant long range ASW.

4. Contrary to what some think - I think it is the enemy who is likely to end up seriously dead.

Happy Christmas!

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 24th Dec 2019 at 21:45.