PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI Airways
Thread: TUI Airways
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 18:43
ROC10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LiamNCL
There will be leases needed for sure but they must be bringing aircraft in from somewhere surely as they have recruited TCX flight deck crew with them training on the 737 i was just curious as to where these will come from or if aircraft are intended to move to the UK from elsewhere in the TUI group.
Well I’d imagine they’re still very much hoping (and perhaps optimistically expecting) the MAX to be in service by at least the peak summer, however, they will of course be well aware this is far from certain and so will need to make contingency plans. The collapse of TCX has basically forced them to expand to fill some of the gap, however this is arguably the year in which they are least able to do so. If the MAX is active they could be fine as they will still have some of the older 800s plus some 757s, but of course if it is not, it’s hard to see how they won’t be in some sort of trouble.

Interesting sting to see the updates on Jethros. The 4 newest 757s seem to be the first to leave whilst TUI will retain the older ones, also suggests only two will be “leased back” presumably to cover the winter season whilst the 738s are in Canada and the MAX is still not in service. All of the recently-withdrawn 757s have/will become cargo machines in China. The EoL checks are being done in China so perhaps these will end up with a similar fate. The likes of G-OOBF is only 15 years old so it does seem rather sad for it to go to cargo but I guess very few airlines are looking for 757s anymore.