PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures Mk II
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 02:23
MechEngr

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Takwis
Knowing what we know about the system at this point, I can envision a situation where I would consider turning the switches back on, quickly correcting the trim, and turning them back off. I was once in a similar situation with an electrical fire. I would much rather not fly an airplane that would put me in that position...especially with 180 or so lives in my hands.
It's known that the ET302 crew did restore the trim cutouts and did try to trim, but only long enough to try to force the autopilot back on under conditions that training should have told them that the autopilot cannot function. And then they left the trim motors enabled and here we are.

You say you would rather not fly a plane like that. Would you do it anyway if you knew you would be fired otherwise? I know at least one pilot who resigned from Ethiopian Airlines after the first crash on the grounds the airline management didn't do enough.

Apparently Ethiopian Airlines is working closely with the investigation and withholding the CVR from the international investigation community, providing only snippets that support a particular narrative. It's the flagship of technology and modernity for Ethiopia and a source of national pride. The stakes are high for Boeing; they are higher for the government of Ethiopia.