PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 3591 NTSB Public Docket Opened
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 17:21
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbubba
And, in my observation, even if you leave the autothrottles engaged it's easy to overpower the automation and pull the power back manually. At 6000 feet the plane hand flies just fine so if you went up off altitude just pop off the autopilot and ease back down. Would selecting FLCH also bring you back to the altitude in the window? It probably would but there may be some inhibit above 2500 feet RA with flaps out in G/A mode on alternate Thursdays etc. So just pop off the automation and make the plane do what you want then 'Autopilot Center to Command' to recover from the inadvertent go-around switch activation would be my suggestion.

Some folks would have their hands on the throttles at 6000 feet with the autothrottles and autopilot on, others would not. I've seen it done and taught both ways.

In the docket file of interviews starting on page 305 an Atlas FO recalls a possible earlier automation glitch incident with the accident aircraft.

In the preamble to this interview conducted over the phone the FAA disclaimer mentioned in my earlier post is given.
Interesting find. That muddies the waters a lot. Also the fact that the AP was engaged the whole time. How does it stay engaged with all those stick forces? Does it not disengage after a certain level of force is applied?