PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 11:01
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vwon
I know type freezes have been talked about to death on here, but one thing I'm not sure about is; if you join on a LH fleet and bid for a LGW 320 command, are you still frozen for those first 5 years? I assume - and please correct me if I'm wrong - if there aren't enough junior bids to fill the SH P1 requirements then freeze waivers would come into force(?) All hypothetical.. I'm sure there's plenty of junior P1 bids, just wondering how it works.
Basically, BA can do what they like with you during your first 5 years. Ordinarily they want to do what is cheapest, so they do not allow any moves from whatever fleet you are on during that time period. You still have the opportunity to bid for your fleet aspirations, and BA will consider them if it suits them. Normally, the only thing that suits them is a move to a short haul command where there are often insufficient more senior bidders.

An example where things might be different this year, is the 747 where they have stated the fleet may be in surplus towards the end of 2020. A new recruit on the 747 could therefore see themselves directed off the fleet to anywhere else (highly unlikely to be a command position), if there are insufficient more senior volunteers. My gut feeling is that 2020 will see sufficient volunteers, but 2021 may be a different story.