PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures Mk II
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 09:44
pilotmike

Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KelvinD
Declaration: I am not a pilot! I have to ask a question that has been bothering me since this issue first arose: Why does the only indication of AoA have to be from a fallible instrument stuck outside on the airflow?
Because that is how to measure AoA.

Declaration: I am not a pilot! Outside of aviation, there are many devices that can perform the same function, such as inclinometers etc, either working from a bubble indication or an object floating in a liquid.
Because that would measure acceleration, whether gravity or acceleration of the aircraft, not AoA as required.

Declaration: I am not a pilot! Why can a pilot not have an instrument, mounted inside the cockpit, that will give him an indication of AoA, regardless of what the airflow over an outside instrument tells him.,.
You appear to be confusing the instrument (display) inside the fight deck, and the sensor from which the indication is derived. These are usually located outside of the flightdeck for most instruments.