PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop performance
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2003, 18:01
Crossunder

Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turboprop performance

Hi all!

Lots of books have been written on the subject of aircraft performance. However; I'm lookin for some more documentation on "Performance in practise". This would be like; should you increase/decrease climb speed according to head-/tailwind. If so - how much? And every time, regardless of wind strength? Which is the better climb mode to use in turbulent air? Certainly not VS, but Pitch or IAS? On short legs, say around 30-45 minutes, is it better to increase climb speed and go for a lower FL, with TOC/TOD spaced close to eachother, thus giving a shorter sector time?
I have my own thoughts on this, but it's always hard to prove/argue when my CDR always "knows" he is right! (and he could very well be...). And then there's always the standard argument over "the step", even though we are limited to FL250.
I fly the DHC8 100/300, but most performance books deal with jet aircraft - quite a different cup of tea.

All kinds of inputs - book references - private messages a.s.o. on turbo prop performance / techniques in practise, are welcome. Thank you!