PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures Mk II
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 08:15
MechEngr

Received 212 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
MAX operators just like the shinny brochure parts.

The FAA AD on the matter was and is absolute rubbish, of the same level of the original certification of the MAX - just how Boeing told them it will say.

The FAA does not have a massive credibility issue for non genuine reason/s. They blew it during the start, after the first accident, after the second and now the non reply to the Freedom Of Information request - that request was excluding the FAA and its discussions and decisions documents. It was a genuine request that if nothing to hide would have gone along way to regaining public trust.

I went to the local mint the other day and said I am a customer I buy your gold bars but they are too small. I will remain a customer if you make them bigger, but you must not be more expensive than the local bank. That's what customers want.

P.S. given half the pilots did "unexpected" things in the MAX test sims the other day with all the 20/20 of the last year - The prelim report and the AD were based on incorrect assumptions for many/most crews.
Since there's no indication of what the current list is like or how they scored the performance of the pilots, however since every simulation was handled successfully, then it's possible the instructions are now so detailed they required more time to memorize than was given.

The gold bar analogy is terrible, but it is right - if the mint can do that they will undersell the competition; that's how the market generally works.

The AD is not issued in a vacuum. It does not include a complete how-to training course in learning to trim a plane. That was assumed to be trained into pilots, but it is clear the Ethiopian pilots did not do this and it is unclear why they did not do this. They did, however, ignore the clear admonition to never turn the trim enable switches back to enable if they had been disabled. The AD covered that and that allowed the last trim application the pilots did not counter.