PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures Mk II
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 08:04
MechEngr

Received 212 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad2
Grebe.
It may not be how things happen at Boeing, North America- but it's exactly how things DO happen at Boeing Brazil.
The GTF engined 190 E2 has a new undercarriage, with a repositioned wing, the engines where they should be, and many other changes- so maybe it's about time things changed in the US, Charlie?

MechEngr.
The Embraer 190 E2 carries a common type rating with the original E190, despite being effectively a completely different aeroplane and properly redesigned to accommodate the fuel efficient (and jolly powerful) GTF motors.
I agree, that's what the customers want....
What they probably didn't want is a re-engined 737 that they are not permitted to operate.
Not sure where you are going with this. The E190 customers aren't 737 customers. Looks like there are under 600 190s in the world and orders for less than 40 E2s so far.
There are about 7000 NGs and were orders for about 5000 Max's. That's one to two orders of magnitude greater investment in 737 operations.

I see it's a FBW which covers a multitude of sins, so the comparison to the 737 is weak. " The E2 have 75% new parts" which would cripple logistics for an airline that had thousands of the old ones to maintain and were looking to expand with new ones; not a problem for the E190 series. (quote per the Wikipedia E2 page)

It would have been an impossible sell for Boeing to make a plane that did not fit existing operations. I guess we'll see if Embraer can sell in quantity.