PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLF avoid travel on 737 max
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2019, 09:18
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
The MAX name is tainted, and I doubt any UK/Euro airline will ever use that tag again, if and when at the RTS of the aircraft.

The OP states he does not wish to fly in a MAX and lives in OZ - A fair few OZ, Pacific and Asian airlines have or (edit) will have the aircraft so he if wants to avoid booking on one then he needs to research his booking and airline options.

TUI UK have removed any reference in their online holiday and flight brochures (and also the Our Fleet section) that they have the MAX...
TUI's CEO has already said to the Press they are mooting a name change.
TUI's social media erupted in March after the 2nd crash with 1000's of it's UK customers demanding to cancel/amend their Hols, and vociferous demands that TUI voluntarily grounded the plane.
Customers are now ''informed'' so don't be fooled that airlines will not have an issue when they do reintroduce their fleets.
This is not 1979, we had no social media at the time of the DC-10 groundings 40 years ago, and the fleet then re-entered venerable service.
The MAX debacle coverage in the Press and SM now means the public are hearing in real-time the trials and tribulations within Boeing, the aviation and regulatory authorities, and also what is playing out in the Senate and in the Courts.

Ryanair CEO MOL has already crassly stated 'no refunds' if you are booked on a MAX with them.
FR have now painted out the word ''MAX'' off the noses of their new aircraft sitting at Boeing awaiting delivery.
FR have ordered a unique version known as the 737 MAX 8 -200.
Their planes now have just Boeing 737 8-200 on their noses - Pax will only know from the differing seat map when booking, but not all pax pay to reserve a seat.

I personally (in the UK) would not go on a MAX in a hurry, I am only likely ever to see one if I booked a TUI package holiday (or take a Ryanair flight and that is not likely lol)
I am not in the market to book West jet, AC or Norwegian for my travel plans (all of whom have the type)
BA Comair I do use, and they have a sole example for now.

Maybe not since 1952 with de Havilland DH 106 Comet 1 have we seen such a major aviation story with design flaws.
The Comet 1 was in airline service for just under two years before grounding, the same as the MAX.
In that time it killed 110 souls, compared with the MAX's 346.
Much smaller aircraft but the seriousness of design flaws does not outweigh that.
The Comet 1 was redesigned, reappearing 4 years later as the Comet 4.

MCAS seems so deeply rooted in the 737 MAX's flight control systems is that why Boeing still cannot fathom out a safe fix to ensure the aircraft's stability in all flight envelopes.
Also seem that no MCAS = no type approval using the 1967 737-100/200 type approval Grandfather rights.
To now re-design the air frame to remove the need for MCAS will surely mean a new type approval needed.
The MAX production is now to be halted after almost a year's grounding so we remain to see how the MAX's future will play out.

Last edited by rog747; 21st Dec 2019 at 09:40.