PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Volcano eruption on White Island
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2019, 23:11
wrench1

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
If my desire to bury a loved one now, rather than in 6-8 weeks, resulted in the deaths of 6 soldiers, the creation of 6 new widows and maybe a dozen fatherless kids I'd probably feel pretty bad about it! It's an emotive topic that does not always bear logical scrutiny.
Then perhaps you should tell your immediate family, friends, colleagues, etc of your beliefs as that is where the "push" comes from. You're correct in that this doesn't follow "logical scrutiny" all the time, but at times it does as evident by a number of remains still sitting in a Beaver stuck on the side of mountain in Alaska from 2 years ago. In my case, none of the removal ops were at risk in isolated mountainous areas in South America. But the results were solemn. Regardless, closure to the loss of a loved one is more than a "media" op-ed as mentioned above. I've seen both sides of the equation and I think those involved this recent ops on White Island know/knew that too. We all take risks for different reasons, but sometimes that gift of closure is worth it to those who do.