PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan and released American documents
Old 20th Dec 2019, 18:41
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Thanks "Proone" and BVR

I never joined up to go to war, although I knew that it was a possibility sometime down the road. Things were very calm in the late 50's and early 60's. It was the golden age of fighters, with new ones coming along almost monthly. If you wanted to go into space in those days you had to be a fighter pilot/test pilot. So even if I never set foot on Mars, I could fly some neat jets and " done a hundred things You have not dreamed of ......where never lark, or even eagle, flew". So that lasted for me until late 1967, and duty called.

I know and flew with and instructed many Vee. They knew their country leadership had questionable political ethics and such, but they did not want the Northerners to run things. The folks in the 'stans and their fanatics and such are not like that. That damned religion overrides the politics, economics and basic human dignity. And I don't have the slightest thot about how to face that with military action.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For fear of fire, enemy fire that is, read the MoH citation for Mike Novosel. His son flew with Eva here, and that guy, Mike Sr, was a piece of work. As far as anyone can tell, the father and son were the only two combat pilots that ever flew together in a unit. In fact, one rescued the other one day and a few weeks later they reversed roles. Wow!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
@ Eva....
My son and I had the pleasure of talking with Mike Senior for about two hours on the afternoon that Junior opened his "Flightline Bar and Grill". My God, the guy flew B-29's. Various reasons he missed out on Korea, but wanted to do something helpful during the mid-sixties so volunteered to be a helo IP up at Ft Rucker ( close to here in the Panhandle). U.S. Army took him in, but then sent him to IV Corps, South VietNam as Dust Off.
Later that night we attended the grand opening of their dive and my son and his wife and I sat across the table from Mike Sr and Bud Day - two MoH winners! Lottsa history here in the Panhandle besides the training of the Doolittle Raiders and the Son Tay raid.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 20th Dec 2019 at 22:29. Reason: spell checker vs callsign