PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air 200 stolen in Fresno by a 17-yo
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2019, 13:58
OldnGrounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krismiler
I am simply pointing out that information is much easier to find these days and that isn't always a good thing, the possible consequences need to be looked at when it's easy to discover how to open a hotel room safe or break into a car with a quick search online.The latest scams are available online, is someone going to use the information to make sure they don't get caught or try running a few themselves ?

When I was a child, parents were the main source of information and this gave status to them as you had to go and ask, now it's Google
My point is that the information is going to continue to be online, in one way or another, as long as people find it interesting. Effectively, that means forever. People will use it, or not, according to their needs and intentions. That has always been the case, regardless of the ways information has been stored and distributed.

We can look at the possible consequences, but that's all we can do, other than the right thing, which is to design and implement security in ways that actually work.

In the world of engineering, the practice of trying to use hiding, cloaking, etc. as a security measure is referred to as "security through obscurity*." It has been deprecated since the mid-nineteenth century.

*Most commonly used, in recent decades, in the world of software.